Wednesday, November 30, 2005

360 degrees..of insanity!!!

All right, so it’s here already. Next generation gaming has happened. Some think it’s great; others are waiting for all of the heavyweight contenders to arrive. Personally, I’m eager for all of them. After all I am a gamer, tried and true so naturally I’ll get everything. However something bothers me about the 360.

What exactly? How about this frenzy (to put it lightly) that Microsoft has caused. I don’t know how many of you have heard or seen, but getting a 360 has turned into a treasure hunt. Now I say that Microsoft is to blame partly because of the rumors going around that Microsoft deliberatly cut shipments to increase demand. Stores not only can’t keep them on the shelves, they don’t have any to put there in the first place! I read about the launch day incidents. Everything from near riots in parking lots to people attempting to hold up EB games stores to get one, it’s all ridiculous. An article posted on Gamespot.com yesterday mentioned about how JCPenny’s website was selling the Ultimate 360 bundle for $800! Double the retail price. On top of that it wasn’t shipping for two weeks! Yikes.

I realize that gaming has grown since the release of the PS2. I remember having a PS2 on reserve at my local EB Games and having to wait a few weeks afer launch to get it due to shortages, but I was cool with that. I still ended up getting it earlier then they said due to some dropouts and cancellations. The launch line-up wasn’t even that great. I had Tekken Tag tournament first and that was it until February, and I got it in early November! Which brings me to my point that the 360-launch line-up isn’t stellar in my opinion. Unless you’re a sports fan which dominates the release schedule. Fighting game fans like myself are left hanging, as DOA4 which everyone thought would be a launch title didn’t make it and last I checked it got pushed back to like December 14th or so.

Where am I going with all this? Well, I think the moral of all this is that people should be patient. I know I am. For those parents and “extreme” game enthusiasts who decide they should pay $3000 for a 360 from EBAY more power to ya’. Personally I’m going to wait until after the holidays, February or so when you should able to pick up a 360 from the shelves. And hopefully by the they have at least one “killer ap”.

No comments: